October 29, 2018
Hello ACM UMN members,
Here are some of the events we have coming up in the next few weeks:
Software Design Competition:
- The third and final meeting of our Software Design Competition will be held today, October 29nd in Bruininks Hall 131A at 6:00 PM. This meeting will be the implementation week judging. Following this week's meeting, The judges will decide on the overall first and second place winners of the competition. If you aren't at the presentation, you won't be able to receive your prize, even if your team wins, so please make sure you're there! Mesa pizza will be provided. See you there!
ACM-W Halloween Hack Night:
- Who: ACM-W, ACM, and you! What: Hacks, snacks, and lots of fun. Drop in and choose one of our spooky surprise projects to code with your friends! Costumes strongly encouraged. Where: Bruininks Hall 312. When: Tue, October 30, 7:30pm – 10:30pm. Why: Who doesn't like having some Halloween-themed coding fun?
Coffee & Donunts with the CS&E Department:
- Come grab some refreshments and meet professors, researchers, advisors, and other students in the computer science and engineering department. This event will be held in the main floor of Keller Hall, above the atrium on Tuesday, November 6th.
Capture the Flag Kickoff:
- The kickoff for our CTF will be held on November 8th in Keller Hall 3-125 from 7:00 to 8:30 PM. CTF, short for capture-the-flag, is a cybersecurity competition in which participants try to evade security protections on certain exploitable targets to obtain secret information known as flags. During this first meeting, we'll be holding a kickoff event where we'll do a gentle introduction to CTF. The competition will then run on for the rest of the week online. If you're interested in competing, visit our website for more information.
Systems Committee Recruiting:
- ACM UMN's systems committee is currently looking for more members. If you have experience with systems administration or are willing to learn, come to our room and talk to one of our current systems committee members. Systems committee meetings are 3:30 on Saturdays via voice call (#general-voice in Discord), but subject to change; PM Louis, Michael, or Nathan if you're interested in attending and would like to be informed of scheduling changes.
Non ACM UMN Events:
- MadHacks at the University of Wisconsin-Madison is hosting a 24-hour hackathon on Nov.10-11th, 2018. Whether you are a beginner or an expert, MadHacks is the event where you can build the one idea that you always wanted to build with groups of like-minded students. Admission to MadHacks is completely free and there will also be free food, workshops, tech talks, meetups, games, and prizes. MadHacks will also provide travel reimbursements to some candidates and might send a bus if there are a large number of applications from your school. Apply now at www.madhacks.io.
If you want to get more involved with ACM UMN or see what we’re up to, you can stop by our room, Keller Hall 2-204, any time. In addition, our weekly officer meetings are held on Mondays at 7:00 pm in Keller Hall 2-204, and our meeting minutes can be found on our website. You can also join our Discord server.
Have a great week!